Sweet Italian Sausage Burger
sausage and eggs as a burger
You just might be thinking of breakfast by now… Well, while this sandwich is yummy enough to eat for every meal in your day, it’s well suited for lunch and dinner. It combines the classic flavors of sausage and eggs in a 4-ounce burger. The marinara that cooks the eggs and crowns the gourmet burger recipe is what makes it different, and extra delicious.
- Yield: 12 Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 3 Pounds Ground Pork
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Whole Fennel Seeds
- 3 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 6 Cups Marinara Sauce
- 12 Eggs
- 12 Dinner Rolls
1. Preheat your grill, and your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Pour your marinara sauce into a small roasting pan. Crack all 12 of your eggs into the marinara sauce. Try not to let the eggs touch each other or the sides because they’ll stick. Place in the oven and let cook approximately 20 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl combine your pork, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, and salt. Mix together until evenly combined. Form into 12 equal patties.
4. Once your burgers are formed, place on the grill and let cook approximately 7 minutes on the first side. Once there is a nice crust and the burgers are half-way finished cooking, flip and let finish cooking another 3-4 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes have passed, check on your eggs. They will turn white and become firm when they are finished. Check every 5 minutes until they are finished cooking.
6. When everything is finished cooking, assemble your sandwiches. First, place your burger on the sliced bun, then spoon onto the burger a baked egg and a little additional sauce. Top with the bun, serve and enjoy!
- This recipe reminds me of some of the breakfasts I would have growing up. Everything tastes better with an egg on top, and a meal isn’t perfect until it’s served with marinara sauce and a little sausage.
- Always cook with your favorite marinara sauce. I like to use my mom’s recipe but if you don’t have a family recipe you can always use one of the large jars of your favorite sauces from the store.
- If you like things a little bit spicier, you can always more red pepper flakes. To make sure the burger will be flavored just as you like it, you can always make a little nugget and sear it off in a frying pan before cooking all of the burgers.