Spicy Mussels and Linguine
Spicy mussels and linguine is a great go-to dinner recipe when entertaining friends and family. Serve brownies with Opera Cream Sauce and piled with berries to complete this meal and your guests will be begging to come back for dinner tomorrow.
- Yield: Dinner for 4-6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 3 Whole Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Whole Shallots
- 2 Cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tb Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1-2 cups White Wine
- 1 lb Linguine
- 24 Fresh Mussels or 1 Bag Fresh Mussels
- Olive oil
1. Prepare your ingredients: slice your garlic cloves, slice your shallots, drain majority of the liquid from your tomatoes, clean your mussels. (To clean your mussels make sure that they are still alive. Any mussel with an open mouth may be dead already, if you flick the mussel and it doesn’t close then it is dead and should be thrown away. Also scrub any loose grit from the mussels and remove any dangling hairs. )
2. Fill a large sauce pot of water and bring to a boil to cook your linguine. Once the water is boiling add your linguine and cook according to instructions from the box. Once it is cooked, drain and set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan add a few Tb of olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add your garlic, shallots, and red pepper flakes.
4. Sauté until the shallots are tender and your whole kitchen smells like garlic. (Approximately 3 minutes)
5. Once your aromatics are cooked add your canned tomatoes and white wine. Turn your heat to medium high heat.
6. When your wine and tomatoes come to a slight boil, add your cleaned mussels. Cover your pan with a lid and remove from the heat. The mussels will steam and cook in the pan.
7. After your mussels are cooked through, toss together your linguine.
8. Plate, serve and enjoy.
- Mussels that are opened before you cook them may be dead already and should be removed. Mussels that are closed still after cooking may be dead already too and shouldn’t be eaten.
- If you like a lot of spice add more red pepper flakes but if spice is of no interest to you red pepper flakes do not need to be added.
- If you don’t like mussels you could always substitute cleaned shrimp, clams, or even fresh fish that has been flaked into smaller pieces.
- Always cook with whatever wine you like to drink!