Red Onion-Apple Slawsweet and zippy crunch
This slaw came together smack dab in the middle of Fall’s apple bounty. I brought it to the table as the crunch needed to complement the Apple Cider-Braised Pork Belly, but it’s awfully yummy on all sorts of sandwiches and even by itself. Enjoy it during the Fall and all year long.
- Yield: About 3 Cups
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: None
- 1 Whole Red Onion
- 2 Honey Crisp Apples
- 3 Tablespoons Kraft Garlic & Herb Mayonnaise (see last tip below)
- Salt/ Pepper
1. Prep your onions and apples. First remove the top and bottom from the red onion; slice in half. Remove the outer most layer of the onion. Finally, thinly slice.
2. For the apple you want to cut each of the four sides off of the core. Next cut each side twice width-wise and then lengthwise to create julienned apples.
3. Add your sliced apples and onion to a mixing bowl. Top with the mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. Toss together.
4. Serve as a side item or on top of a sandwich.
- Don’t make this too much in advance because the apples will begin to oxidize. Once you add the onions and toss with the mayonnaise it’ll stop the browning, but try to toss this together just before service.
- I chose Honey Crisp apples for their crunchiness and sweetness to play against the sharpness of the onion but you can always use your favorite flavor of apples.
- Many brands offer a variety of flavored mayonnaise that add so much great taste without any work. If you want to make your own garlic and herb mayo, however, simply add 2 cloves of garlic to 1 cup of mayonnaise and 3 leaves of fresh basil. Blend together.