Here's another killer soup for you. Make it just as we've suggested, or tailor it to your tastes: Use more broth to make it lighter, more cream to make it richer. And play with the proportions of mushrooms and spinach too.
Garnish with crunchy onions from a can, or make your own by thinly slicing shallots, tossing them in salt, pepper, and flour, quickly frying in oil until golden brown and crispy, and seasoning with salt right out of the oil.
1. In a sauce pot, melt the butter and over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and fresh thyme, and sauté until the mushrooms are tender.
2. Next, reduce the heat to medium-low, pour in the vegetable stock, and add the fresh spinach; simmer for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, remove the stems of thyme from the pot and blend together what's left to a fine consistency with an immersion blender.
4. Add as much cream as you like (until it reaches your desired texture) to the pot with the nutmeg and a hearty pinch of salt and pepper. Stir together and adjust the seasonings to taste.
5. Garnish with fried onions and serve hot.