Sweet Potato Dauphinois
Sweet Potato Dauphinois: a side dish with a nutty, rich and powerful flavor. This recipe for Sweet Potato Dauphinois is a side dish that will have people requesting it year-after-year.
There are many recipes for mashed sweet potatoes or even sweet potato salad recipes, but I have yet to find another quite like this sweet potato side dish. The nutty flavor from the Gruyere really compliments the sweet taste of the cream and potatoes. Now, this is not one of my healthy recipes (let’s be honest), but this is definitely one of my easy side dish recipes that will make you shine. The next time you are asked to bring a potato dish, I highly recommend this one. It actually is a lot easier than it looks.
sweet potato dauphinois cooking information
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 75 minutes
sweet potato dauphinois all ingredients
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2-3 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Nutmeg
sweet potato dauphinois recipe instruction
1. Clean and then thinly slice the sweet potatoes (circles).
2. Grease a pie dish with the butter.
3. Create a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Pinch off small nuggets of butter and sprinkle on top of the sweet potatoes (about 1T of butter/layer).
4. With each layer of sweet potatoes, sprinkle the finely shredded gruyere cheese, a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg. Note: This will make about 4 layers of sweet potatoes and you want the top layer to have the butter/cheese as well.
5. Once the layers have been packed firm, you want to pour the cream around the perimeter and until it starts to leak through the top of the potatoes.
6. Cover with aluminum foil. Place the pie dish on a cookie sheet to prevent any spills or drips from getting your oven dirty. This dish does have a tendency to ooze over the sides.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. After the hour has passed, for 5 minutes, turn the oven to the broiler setting, remove the foil and broil. This will crisp up the potatoes.
8. Let cool for approximately 10 minutes. Cut like a pie and serve.Sweet Potato Dauphinois,