Sweet Potato Dauphinois
Here begins the stand-out recipe on our family’s Thanksgiving Day menu. The rich and nutty flavor of this supersimple Sweet Potato Dauphinois will have your entire family looking forward to gobbling it up year after year.
sweet potato dauphinois cooking information
- Yield: 8+ servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 75 minutes
sweet potato dauphinois ingredients
- 3 large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Nutmeg
sweet potato dauphinois recipe instruction
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean and thinly slice the sweet potatoes into rounds (certainly this can be done by hand, but a mandolin is very helpful).
- Generously grease a dish with the butter.
- Spread a layer of sweet potatoes onto the bottom of the dish. Pinch off small nuggets of butter onto the sweet potatoes, about 1 Tbsp. of butter per layer. Sprinkle the finely shredded Gruyere, a pinch of salt, pepper, and nutmeg onto the potatoes next. Continue layering until all the potatoes are used. Make sure the very top layer is one of butter and cheese.
- Once the layers have been packed firmly, pour the cream around the perimeter until it starts to leak through the top of the potatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Place the dish on a cookie sheet to catch any spills or drips, as this does have a tendency to ooze over the sides.
- Bake for an hour. After the hour has passed, set the oven to broil, remove the foil from the dish, and broil for 5 minutes to crisp the potatoes on top.
- Let cool for approximately 10 minutes. Scoop and serve.
GD Star Rating