Oriental Wok Sweet & Sour Ketchup
ketchup with kick, baby!
We served this first as a way to showcase one of the most popular of the Oriental Wok bottled sauces, Sweet & Sour. We filled a small shot glass with it, and topped it with crispy Roasted Potatoes. Of course, as happens so often, I have since worked it into many other recipes; I add it for a sweet little kick whenever I can. The kiddos love it too.
- Yield: About 1 Cup
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- 2 Cups Cream
- 2 Small Cans Tomato Paste
- 1/3 Cup Oriental Wok Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
1. Add your tomato paste, Oriental Wok’s Sweet and Sour Sauce, and vinegar to a mixing bowl. Whisk together until everything is evenly combined and there are no chunks of tomato paste.
2. Now, slowly add water until it’s the thickness you like.
3. Next, season to taste. Start with a teaspoon of kosher salt and then add a pinch more at a time until its as flavorful as you want it.
4. Finally, if you want a more ketchup, you can add a little more vinegar.
5. Once it tastes how you like, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Keeps for 1-2 weeks.
- Classic store-bought ketchup, if eaten by itself, is smooth and a little salty, and hits you on the sides of your mouth. That sensation is from the vinegar. If that is something you love, you might add a little more vinegar.
- If you don’t have Oriental Wok Sweet & Sour Sauce, you can substitute granulated sugar. Start with 2 Tablespoons and add more to taste.
- To make fun flavor variations you could add one pureed chipotle pepper for spicy flavor, fresh herbs, like rosemary, for an earthier flavor, or your own special ingredient for a unique concoction.