Mustard Green Pesto
Toss this easy pesto recipe into a pound of hot pasta for a bright addition to any meal. Smear it on sandwiches, stir it into scrambled eggs, dress a salad with it. Or, smash it into a bowl of drained canned white beans, and serve it on top of toast for an amazingly delicious new appetizer.
easy pesto recipe cooking information
- Yield: 1-1½ Cups Pesto
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
easy pesto recipe ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Romano Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Cloves of Fresh Garlic
- 3 Cups Loosely-Packed Mustard Greens
- Salt and Pepper
easy pesto recipe instruction
- Prep your ingredients: Toast the sunflower seeds. Smash the garlic, remove the outer skin. Clean and roughly chop your mustard greens.
- To a food processor add the olive oil, garlic, sunflower seeds, and cheese. Blend together.
- Add as much mustard greens as the food processor will hold and blend together while pouring the vinegar through the spout. Add the rest and blend all together to a fine consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
easy pesto recipe tips and tricks
- Make sure to clean your greens really well; there tends to be a lot of grit that gets caught on the stems and if they don’t get washed thoroughly you’ll have grit in your pesto (which is not delicious).
- I have made this recipe using any type of green – mustard, turnip, collard – and they are all delicious. Makes the winter staple into something a little more fresh.