Mint Julep Cupcakes
Inspired by a last-minute road trip to Louisville smack dab in the middle of Derby season, these cupcakes are a super simple spin on the classic cocktail. They’ll have everybody wagering on just how long it took you to make them, but they come together quickly with help from some prepared ingredients. And just like a wide-brimmed hat at Churchill Downs, these little treats are the perfect accessory for any summer supper menu.
mint julep cupcakes recipe cooking information
- Yield: About 24 Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
mint julep cupcakes ingredients
- 1 Boxed Lemon Cake Mix (and all the ingredients required to make it)
- 1 Cup Bourbon
- 1 Large Container Prepared Vanilla Icing
- 1 Cup Fresh Mint
- Coarse Sugar
mint julep cupcakes recipe instruction
- Follow the directions of the lemon cake mix and pour the batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake the cupcakes according to box instructions.
- While the cupcakes are baking, pick the fresh mint from the stems and place in a food processor with the vanilla icing. Blend until the mint is finely chopped and completely mixed into the icing.
- Transfer the icing to a resealable plastic bag and let rest until you are ready to ice the cupcakes.
- Once the cupcakes are finished cooking, remove from the oven and let cool.
- When they have cooled completely, poke the top of each cupcake with a fork so the bourbon has a place to go.
- Using a basting brush, generously paint the top of the cupcakes with bourbon, using as much or as little bourbon as you like.
- Finally, cut a small corner off of the plastic bag of mint icing; use it like a pastry bag, and pipe the icing on top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle each one with coarse sugar and enjoy!
mint julep cupcakes tips and tricks
- This entire recipe may be prepared in advance, but do not assemble the cupcakes until just before service. Bake the cupcakes, baste them with bourbon, and make the icing. Keep everything in the refrigerator. Wait until you are ready to serve the cupcakes to ice and sprinkle them with sugar.
- During our trip to Louisville we were introduced to Bourbon Barrel Foods where they make amazing and delicious bourbon barrel-smoked sugars. When we originally served these cupcakes, we sprinkled the Bourbon Barrel Foods’ Bourbon Vanilla Sugar on top for a bit of crunch and a ton of extra flavor.