Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Especially during the holiday season, garlic mashed potatoes seem to work their way into the menu. When I first moved to Chicago, these mashed potatoes became one of my favorite recipes.
I must tell you up front that these are not the healthiest mashed potatoes out there – but they sure are good going down.
Be sure to watch my online cooking class video. I will show you how to make mashed potatoes like a pro.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes cooking information
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
all garlic mashed potatoes ingredients
- 6 Potatoes, peeled (Idaho and Russet are best)
- 1.5-2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 12 Cloves Garlic
- 1.5 Sticks Butter
garlic mashed potatoes recipe instruction
1. Place a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
2. Wash, peel and cut your potatoes. First cut in half length-wise, then into chunks. Cutting them into chunks will help to cook the potatoes at a speedier rate. Place into the boiling water (need enough water to cover the potatoes) and add 2 cloves of garlic per potato. You will boil for about 40 minutes – or until you can stab the potato with a knife and the chunk slides right off the knife. Do NOT add salt to the water at this point.
3. Once the potatoes are finished, drain the water and mash them. You can mash them using a Foley Food Mill, a masher or beaters.
4. Bring the mashed potatoes back to the stove top and reheat on medium heat. Add in heavy whipping cream and butter. You want the potatoes to be weeping – have a creamy consistency. This is not an exact science so just taste as you add the butter and cream to get it exactly as you like it.
5. Finally, add your salt. Serve and enjoy!
garlic mashed potatoes cooking tips
- You will know when your potatoes are finished boiling when you can stab them with a knife and they fall off the knife.
- These garlic mashed potatoes are delicious as leftovers!
- Make the leftover mashed potatoes into homemade gnocchi.
Make it a Meal: Crunchy Green Beans
online cooking class