How to Make Chai Tea
In light of the many cups of warm chai tea I’ve ordered out and mixed up, it was like a light bulb went off in my brain when I decided I couldn’t wait one more second to play with how to make chai tea latte at home. Now that this recipe’s designed, I wonder what took me so darn long. You can see in the picture that we served this affogato-style with a scoop of pumpkin gelato, but this is just as delicious all by itself throughout the fall and winter months.
chai tea cooking information
- Yield: About : ½ Gallon
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
chai tea recipe ingredients
- 1/2 Gallon Whole Milk
- 6 Bags of Black Tea
- 2-Inch Knob Fresh Ginger
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cardamom
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
chai tea recipe instruction
- Prepare your ingredients: Remove the tea bags from their packaging. Peel and roughly chop the fresh ginger.
- In a large sauce pot combine your milk, tea, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, and cardamom. Turn to medium-low heat.
- Let cook 15-20 minutes, stirring often and tasting occasionally. Make sure the milk doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the milk is flavorful, remove the tea bags and add the sugar. Let cook another 10 minutes.
- Strain the concoction and serve hot.
chai tea tips and tricks
- Use a spoon to peel the fresh ginger; simply scrape off the skin. If you use a vegetable peeler, too much of the meat of the ginger will go to waste.
- I like to tie all of my tea bags together and then, using a twist- tie, attach them to the handle of the pot so they are easier to fish out at the end and there are no paper products in my tea.