Hot Pickled Okra
Go crazy with this hot pickled okra recipe! Add okra to sandwiches, a bloody mary, burgers…the options are endless. Don’t just reach for the pickles when you want to add a little punch to a sandwich — hot pickled okra just may be the answer to your culinary creation.
hot pickled okra cooking information
- Yield: 2 Cups
- Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5-10 Minutes
hot pickled okra ingredients
- 1 lb. Fresh Okra
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tb Kosher Salt
- 3 Tb Sugar
- 2 Tb Pickling Spices
- 3 Serano Chillis
hot pickled okra recipe instruction
- Remove the tops of the okra and roughly chop. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Slice your serano chilis in half lengthwise and place in a small pot with the sugar, salt, vinegar, water, and pickling spices. Turn to high heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Once everything is dissolved,strain and pour over the okra.
- Let the okra cool, transfer to an air tight container and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve with your favorite BBQ!
hot pickled okra tips and tricks
- We have served this with slow cooked BBQ, Bloody Marys, and on our faovrite summer burger with corn butter and fresh tomato. The heat and acidity really help cut through any rich fatty flavors.
- Okra does get a slimy when cut and cooked, do not be alarmed. If you are nevous about the slimy factor you can always pickle the okra whole and then cut it up right before youa re going to serve it to reduce the slime factor.
- If you don’t have pickling spice already in your cabinent you can always make it yourself by combining whole mustard seeds, whole allspice, coriander seeds, crumbled dry bay leaves, and a little red pepper flakes.