Homemade Tomato Jam
Make THIS your very own secret ingredient. Spread it on everything from toast for breakfast to pound cake for dessert and dollop it on every egg in between. Go crazy with grilled cheese and cold sandwiches too. Smear it on individual salads like we’ve done in the picture to the left. Roll around in the gift that tomatoes really are with this easy recipe.
tomato jam recipe
- Yield: 1-2 cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
tomato jam ingredients
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (approximately 1½-2 lbs)
- 1 small white onion
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
homemade tomato jam recipe
- Prep your ingredients: remove the stems and dice tomatoes, mince the onion, juice the lemon.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and lemon juice in a large sauté pan. Turn to medium-high heat and stir everything together.
- Let cook for 1 hour until there is minimal moisture in the pan. While the jam is cooking down, stir often to be sure nothing is burning on the bottom. Reduce the heat and stay close the last 10 minutes because with little moisture, the jam will burn easily.
tomato jam tips and tricks
- This is a great base recipe; add whatever herbs and spices you like. And if you can’t handle a lot of heat you can omit the red pepper flakes altogether.
- If you are going to double this recipe, prepare for it to take twice as long.