Grilled Bacon Pizza with Red Onion & Banana Peppers
There’s nothing better than pizza crust kissed by the grill…except maybe for said crust smeared with sweet, salty, and oh-so savory bacon marmalade. Crowned by the crunch of red onion, and pop of banana peppers (quick-pickled by you, or pulled from a jar), this baby will bring the BANG! in a whole new way.
For a weekend full of entertaining, make extra pizza dough. Roll it extra thin for thin crust or spread it with your hands in oil olive for a more traditional crust. (You can also bake it in a 400-degree oven until golden and crispy.) Then, stack a platter of individual crusts and invite your guests to decorate their own pizza with a spread of toppings hot from the grill — corn, chicken, shrimp, eggplant, asparagus, pineapple. Finish with interesting cheese options like goat cheese, smoked gouda, and Mexican cotija.
Grilled pizza recipe
- Yield: 2 Pizza Doughs
- Prep Time: 2 Hours
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 Packet Dry Active Yeast (approximately 2 tsp)
- 1¼ Cup Warm Water
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Flour
- Bacon Marmalade
- Red Onion Rings
- Banana Peppers
bacon pizza recipe
- Combine the warm water, yeast, and honey in the mixing bowl of your stand mixture; let rest for 5-10 minutes, until the liquid is bubbly. Once the liquid has bubbled up, add your salt and olive oil, then the flour.
- Using the dough hook on your stand mixer, mix everything together for 2 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead by hand for 5 minutes until it comes together in a uniform ball.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 1-2 hours until it has proofed.
- When the dough is ready, cut in half and stretch into two crusts.
- Clean and rub with oil the grates of a grill at high heat. Lift the lid, reduce the heat, and place the dough directly onto the grates. Keep the lid open and monitor the dough. Flip and finish cooking on the second side.
- After the dough has been crisped on the grill, spread it with the bacon marmalade, and sprinkle with rings of fresh red onion and pickled peppers. Return to the grill so everything melds together at the same temperature.