Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Pastitsio
Offer up this Thanksgiving-inspired recipe throughout the cool-weather months. A Caitlin-ed up version of the classic Greek casserole, it is one clever take on comfort food. Enjoy pumpkin-kissed flavor with the whole family.
- Yield: 1 Casserole
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
easy casserole ingredients
- 1 lb Ditalini Pasta
- 1 ½ sticks Butter
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 tsp Ground Sage
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Quart Whole Milk
- 1 Onion
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 8 Cloves
- ½ Cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1½ Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie, filling only (OR 3 Cups Flavored Pumpkin Puree)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Salt + Pepper
pasta casserole recipe
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the ditalini and cook according to the package directions. Drain the pasta when it is finished cooking.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a 1/2 stick of butter in a small sauté pan and cook until the butter melts and starts to turn brown. Pour over the drained pasta and stir to coat. Transfer the brown-butter pasta to the bottom of a 13”x9” pan.
- To another sauté pan, add the ground turkey, sage, and coriander. Turn to high heat. Crumble the meat and cook completely. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over the pasta.
- Prep your onion: remove the outermost layers and cut in half widthwise. Combine the onion, milk, bay leaves, and cloves in a sauce pot. Turn to medium-high heat.
- While the milk is coming to a boil, melt the rest of your butter in a small sauté pan. Whisk the flour into the melted butter and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove the onion, cloves, and bay leaves. Whisk the roux into the milk and cook until it starts to thicken. Turn off the heat.
- Whisk the pumpkin, eggs and cinnamon into the milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the ground turkey.
- Finally, place the pastitsio into a preheated 375-degree oven for 30 minutes. Once a crust has formed, remove from the oven. Let rest 10 minutes, scoop and serve.
pastitsio tips and tricks
- This is a great make-ahead meal. If you pull it from the fridge and put it directly into the oven, bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Make sure that every layer tastes delicious. Try each one as you cook it; season accordingly with salt and pepper.
more pumpkin recipes
Link to all the Third Thursday recipes inspired by Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie:
- Pumpkin Pie Crostini with Cannellini Beans and Sausage
- Pumpkin Pie-Stuffed Phyllo Appetizers
- Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Polenta-Stuffed Zucchini with Bleu Cheese Cream Sauce
- Pumpkin Pastitsio
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle with Slow-Cooked Beef
- Pumpkin Caramel Bon Bons
- Pumpkin Pie Blondies
- Pumpkin Pie Sundae with Maple-Bourbon Pecan Sauce