Smoked Chicken Salad
Kelly and I have loved this chicken salad recipe for years. When I served it at one of our events, however, it earned a whole slew of new fans. While we had thought the men may have turned their noses at such a ladylike chicken salad, one after another confessed it was his favorite food served that night. Try it for yourself. Layered on a piece of bread with a spear of asparagus, this makes a beautiful and delicious open-face tea sandwich. Serve this with my Chilled Cantaloupe Soup for the perfect lunch.
chicken salad cooking information
- Yield: 3-4 Cups
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
chicken salad ingredients
- 1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke (if you do not have this, you can add the flavor by grilling the chicken)
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1 Cup Snow Peas
- Salt and Pepper
chicken salad recipe instruction
1. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in a large, preheated (medium-high heat) non-stick sauté pan and cook. A large breast will take about 7 minutes per side and tenderloins take about 3 minute a side.
2. Once the chicken is finished cooking, set aside and let cool down.
3. Finely dice your red onion and set aside. Coarsely chop your snow peas and place in a microwaveable bowl covered with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, liquid smoke, red onion, and snow peas.
5. Once your chicken is cooled set up your food processor with the slicing attachment. If you do not have a food processor, or prefer bigger chucks of chicken, you can shred by hand or dice with your knife. Add your chicken to the mayonnaise mixture.
6. Toss, chill and serve.
P.S. Click on the asparagus image below for a quick video on how to cook asparagus.
- If you prefer a dryer chicken salad you can always add less mayonnaise, if you prefer it to be super moist you can add more mayonnaise. Either way, add your mayonnaise a little at a time and taste it as you go; if you add too much you can’t take it back
- Liquid smoke is very potent so be careful not to add too much. You can find liquid smoke in the condiment aisle of your grocery store, right next to the BBQ sauce, marinades and seasoning mixes. Molly has made without the liquid smoke and it is still delicious.