Braciole is a delicious recipe that looks like you have slaved for hours – but – you haven’t. Have a house full of hungry people, and not sure quite what to feed them? Braciole is a great answer.
Be sure to check out the You Tube video for Braciole. This braciole recipe is so easy it is shocking. I have been told that it is intimidating to make a recipe that has meat actually wrapped inside meat – but I am here to tell you – it is not hard at all. Have confidence, you can do it.
braciole cooking information
- Yield: 4 Hearty Dinners
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
all ingredients for braciole
- 1 Flank Steak
- 1/4 lb Sliced Pepperoni
- 1/4 lb Sliced Prosciutto
- 1/4 lb Sliced Genoa Salami
- 1/4 lb Sliced Provolone
- 2 Jars Your Favorite Marinara Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Feet Butcher’s Twine
braciole recipe instruction
1. Lay your flank steak on the cutting board so the muscle is going up and down (see the video for further explanation if needed).
2. Shingle each meat and cheese over the steak until the steak is completely covered and you have used all of your meats and cheese.
3. Tightly roll the steak from left to right. Some of the meat and cheese may fall out, but lay the seam on the cutting board.
4. With your butcher’s twine, tie 4 knots down the length of the steak to keep the everything together. To make sure that everything stays together tie one large knot lengthwise over the whole concoction. I would recommend watching the video if you don’t completely understand – it is hard to explain.
5. In a large Saucepan 2Q, turn to high heat and add your olive oil.
6. When the sauce pot is hot enough, add your rolled meat to the pot. You want to sear all of the sides to lock in the juices and create a crust to the steak.
7. Once all of the steak is seared, cover the braciole with your favorite sauce and turn the heat to low. Cover the pot with a lid and let simmer for 40 minutes to one hour. Stir occasionally.
**The steak will be finished cooking in about 10-20 minutes but for the sauce to get all of the flavor, and the meat to become amazingly tender, let it cook for the entire 40-60 minutes.
8. Before serving, take the braciole out of the sauce and let it rest 5 minutes. Cut the twine off and cut the meat so you can see the swirls of meat.
9. Serve with your favorite pasta tossed in the marinara sauce and enjoy!
braciole cooking tips
- Other great meats to use would be hot capicola, mortadella, Milano salami, or simple the classic salami.
- You can always substitute mozzarella for provolone.
- If you completely forget about buying butcher’s twine or asking for some; you can use unflavored dental floss instead. Make sure it is UNflavored!
- If you really love this meal, make a few steak rolls at one time and wrap a them in foil and freeze a week in advance. A day before you want to cook it place it in the refrigerator to dethaw and then just pick up the recipes where you left off.
online cooking class for braciole