Blueberry Tequila Sauce
As you can see, we served this rich and flavorful sauce as an ice cream sundae topper. It would also be delicious, however, spooned onto pancakes or blintzes at brunch, or even some crispy-creamy Waffle Cheesecakes. You could even try it over a beef burger hot off the grill with a smear of creamy brie. Or, freeze a batch of this colorful treat in ice cube trays and pop them into a cocktail of flavored soda and liquor.
blueberry sauce recipe
- Yield: 2-3 Cups
- Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10-20 Minutes
blueberry sauce ingredients
- 2 Cups Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Cup Tequila
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- Zest and Juice of 1 Orange
- Pinch of Salt
blueberry sauce directions
- Wash and remove any stems from the blueberries. Zest and juice the orange.
- In a sauce pot combine the blueberries, tequila, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and juice, plus the pinch of salt; bring it all to a boil.
- Cook until the berries have burst, the liquid has reduced, and the sauce coats a spoon.
- When it is ready, remove from the heat and store in an air0tight container in the refrigerator.
blueberry sauce tips and tricks
- After the sauce was finished cooking I chose not to strain the sauce because I like the look and mouth-feel of some texture when it is served over ice cream. For a smoother sauce, push the sauce through a fine mesh sieve.