We’re giving you one more reason to cheer for the other white meat. Hold on to your pants, this is one for the record books. Time and time again, foodie conversations get completely derailed with even the word bacon being mentioned. So, we had to take it to the next level: Bacon Marmalade. This bacon marmalade adds just the right amount of smokey, salty, and sweet to a sandwich.
bacon marmalade cooking information
- Yield: 2-3 Cups
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30-45 Minutes
bacon marmalade ingredients
- 1 lb. Bacon
- 1 White Onion
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tb Whole Grain Mustard
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
bacon marmalade recipe instruction
- Prepare your ingredients. Cut the bacon into lardons. Finely mince the onions.
- Add your bacon to a large saute pan and turn to high heat. Cook until the bacon is crispy and perfectly browned. Turn off the heat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon from fat. Drain some of the bacon fat from the pan, but leave 1/4 cup of bacon fat in the pan.
- Place the bacon fat back on the stove top and turn to medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook until the onions are tender and carmelized.
- When the onions are finished cooking, add the brown sugar and cook until the sugar has dissolved and started to make a caramel.
- Once the brown sugar is bubbling, add the apple cider vinegar and mustard. Cook until the vinegar has started to evaporate.
- Finally, season with black pepper and add the crispy bacon back to the pot. Stir together and then remove from the heat.
- Let cool and then transfer to an airtight container and keep in your refrigerator.
bacon marmalade tips and tricks
- Never get rid of bacon fat! I have a bag in our refrigerator at all times. It is a great base for salad dressings, what I add when frying eggs, and smeared on toast just like butter.
- We served this on the sweet potato sandwich, but it is also delicious with french toast, pancakes, tossed in pasta, with baked potatoes, served next to fresh strawberries or celery…pretty much anything.
Make it a Meal: Sweet Potato Sandwich