Aunt Norma’s Spinach Supreme
The best way to make everyone in your family L-O-V-E spinach. It’s not just for Popeye anymore. One bite of this glorious spin on spinach and even kids will be asking for it any given Tuesday. This recipe came from our Aunt Norma Antenucci and her cookbook from over 50 years ago. Her family graciously has given us the nod to share it with you on cookingwithcaitlin.com. Give thanks for Spinach Supreme every darn day, and especially on Thanksgiving.
spinach supreme cooking information
- Yield: 2 cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
spinach supreme all ingredients
- 2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach
- 3 ribs celery, leaves and all
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- lots of black pepper
- NO SALT
spinach supreme recipe instruction
1. Cook spinach until tender, but not overdone. Drain very well. If necessary, squeeze out excess moisture with your hands. This is important.
2. Chop onion and celery in a wooden bowl until they are very fine in texture. Saute in 3 T butter.
3. Combine celery, onion, chopped spinach, and soup. Season w/ black pepper. NO SALT. Place in greased casserole.
4. Brown the bread crumbs in 4 T butter and place over spinach mixture. 375 degrees, 30 min, or until very hot and bubbling.
spinach supreme cooking tips
- Serve this spinach simply as a side, or as a topping for bruschetta, or even as a creamy add to a hot turkey sandwich.