Aunt Norma’s Spinach Supreme
The best way to make everyone in your family L-O-V-E spinach. It’s not just for Popeye anymore. One bite of this glorious spin on spinach and even kids will be asking for it any given Tuesday. This recipe came from our Aunt Norma Antenucci and her cookbook from over 50 years ago. Her family graciously has given us the nod to share it with you on cookingwithcaitlin.com. Give thanks for Spinach Supreme every darn day, and especially on Thanksgiving.
spinach supreme cooking information
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
spinach supreme all ingredients
- 2 pkgs. frozen chopped Spinach
- 3 Tbsp. + 4 Tbsp. Butter, divided
- 3 ribs Celery, leaves and all, chopped finely
- 1 large Onion, chopped finely
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Lots of Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- NO SALT
spinach supreme recipe instruction
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook spinach according to package instructions and drain very well. Squeeze out excess moisture with your hands.
- Sauté the celery and onion in 3 Tbsp. butter.
- Next, combine celery, onion, chopped spinach, and soup. Season generously with black pepper; NO SALT. Scoop into a greased casserole dish.
- Brown the breadcrumbs in 4 Tbsp. butter and spread over the spinach mixture.
- Bake for 30 min, or until very hot and bubbling.
spinach supreme cooking tips
- Serve this spinach simply as a side, or as a topping for bruschetta, or even as a creamy add to a hot turkey sandwich.