Bring these fine Fall flavors together as the perfect compliment to a batch of Rye Schnitzel. Serve it next to the crispy pork for dinner, or alongside a schnitzel sandwich on pretzel bread. Taste it along the way and adjust the seasonings to your liking: add more vinegar if it is too sweet, add cinnamon for a sweet taste of comfort, or add a pinch of caraway seeds for a savory addition.
apple-cabbage quick-kraut recipe
- Yield: 2-3 cups
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 2 Honeycrisp apples
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Salt + pepper
homemade kraut recipe
- Remove the bottom core of the cabbage. Quarter and thinly slice like you would for a slaw. Next, cut the apples off the cores and slice in the same thinness as the cabbage.
- To a large pot add the butter and turn to medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the cabbage, apples, and apple cider vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Toss together and place a lid on top; reduce the heat to medium and let cook 10 minutes.
- As the cabbage becomes tender, remove the lid and stir again. Turn the heat back up to medium-high heat and continue to let the cabbage and apples caramelize to a golden brown.
- Once the kraut is golden brown, taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.